Forgot Password?  
Welcome to the Brown County School District Website ::
Parent Teacher Conferences: October 23rd from 5:00pm until 8:00pm
  • 2:00pm Dismissal: October 23rd
  • No School: October 24th
  • Mission

    To provide an educational opportunity which will allow each student to develop those skills, understandings, and capacities which allow them, as graduates, to become productive and competent individuals and members of society.


    Administration

    Ms. Vicki Phillips
    District Superintendent

     

    Mr. Ben Ellefritz
    PK-6 Principal
     

    Ms. Ann Logan

    7-12 Principal

     

    Mr. Ray Driskell

    7-12 Assistant Principal

    7-12 Athletic Director

    Transportation Director


    District Demographics

    District Area - 307 square miles

    District Enrollment - 749*
    BCES Pre-K-4th - 328*
    BCMS 5th-8th - 190*
    BCHS 9th-12th - 231*

    District Attendance Rate - 94.7%*
    Low Income Rate - 43.4%*

    * per 2012 State Report Card


    Staff Demographics

    Certified Teacher Staff (Pre-K-12) - 56*
    Educational Support Personnel - 50
    Average Teaching Experience - 14.5 yrs*
    Teachers with Bachelor's Degrees - 55.9%*
    Teachers with Master's Degrees - 44.1%*

           * per 2012 State Report Card


    Test Results

    ACT Assessment (Class of 2012)*

      District State
    Composite 19.6 20.6
    English 20.0 20.1
    Mathematics 19.8 20.9
    Reading 19.1 20.5
    Science 19.0 20.6

     

     

    Illinois Standards Achievement Test (ISAT)

    % Meeting or Exceeding Standards*  

      Reading Math Science
      District State District State District State
    Grade 3 73.6 76.1 90.6 87.7 N/A N/A
    Grade 4 79.6 76.0 89.8 88.1 83.7 79.8
    Grade 5 90.7 77.8 97.7 83.6 N/A N/A
    Grade 6 94.1 81.7 94.1 85.0 N/A N/A
    Grade 7 87.8 78.1 89.8 84.6 93.9 79.9
    Grade 8 84.8 86.2 89.1 85.0 N/A N/A

           

     

    Prairie State Achievement Examination (PSAE)

    % Meeting or Exceeding Standards*  

      Reading Math Science
      District State District State District State
    Grade 11 60.5 50.7 60.5 51.6 51.2 51.7

      * per 2012 State Report Card


    History

    Through the years an inevitable growth in the number of schools took place as the county grew, until within the county in the 1930's and 1940's there were 67 school districts, consisting of 65 common school districts, one non-high school district and one community high district. In addition there was one parochial school, St. Mary Academy, consisting of grades 1-12.

    A bill passed by the state in 1945 provided for a survey and reorganization of school districts in Illinois. In compliance with the School Survey Law, Brown County Schools under the direction of Mrs. Minnie Bickers Flynn, County Superintendent of schools instituted a school survey committee on November 16, 1945. This committee consisted of nine members: J. Glenn Thomas, Chairman, Noah Marshall, Vice Chairman, A. A. Ashbaker. Alfred Hetrick, Clyde Myers, Herbert Orr, Dr. G. H. Long, Lyndell Hoover and Fred Masterson.

    An intensive study of school problems was made by the committee and revealed 45 one-room schools in operation, 16 one-room schools closed, four elementary schools, one four year high school, one three year high school and one parochial school.

    The survey committee proposed that a Brown County Elementary School District be formed. An election held May 16, 1947 resulted in a 938-238 vote in favor of the proposal. A board of education was elected and the process of consolidating the elementary schools of the county was in the making.

    However, legislation passed in July 1947, authorized the formation of a unit school district permitting county boundary lines to serve as school district boundary lines and maintain all 12 grades of the common schools under the jurisdiction of one board of education. Plans to take advantage of the new law were made and a special election was held on July 31, 1947 proposing the formation of a unit school district in Brown County. The proposition carried by a vote of 873 for to 54 against. Brown County had the distinction of being the first county unit school district to be organized in the state of Illinois.  Immediately plans were initiated to carry out the wishes of citizens to organize a county unit school district. An election was held August 15, 1947 and the following were elected to constitute the first unit school board: John L. McPhail, Estel Meservey, Herman Lewis, Lozelle Hofsess, Wayne Sides, J. Glenn Thomas, and Lyndell Hoover. The board organized several days later and selected Mr. McPhail as President and Mr. Meservey served as Secretary. J. Russell Morris was employed as Unit Superintendent and Mrs. Ruth D. Roberts was secretary. Teacher assignments were made and with the cooperation of all school personnel in the county, the school year began on schedule in September 1947 and the Brown County Unit School District became a reality.

    The school bus transportation system was enlarged and the big yellow buses soon became a familiar sight on the streets and roads of Brown County as many former rural pupils were transported to their nearest attendance centers. The children soon became accustomed to the daily bus ride to and from school.

    Attendance centers for all eight grades were established at Mt. Sterling, Versailles, Hersman, Timewell, Cooperstown and Ripley. The one-room schools remaining in session during the school year of 1947-1948 were: Byrnes, Poe, Pell, Quinlan, Liberty, Pleasant View, Bell, Ebenezer, LaGrange, Oakland, Buckhorn, Dewitt, Petri, Moore, Lynn, Council, Grove, Benville and Fern Dale.

    The tremendous task of school re-organization was accomplished gradually and at the same time in an efficient manner. The welfare of the children was always given first consideration.

    Uniform text books in all county schools were adopted and equal educational advantages were given to all children throughout the district. County music teachers were employed and music classes were conducted in all schools twice a week. Band instruction was soon available to all students who desired to participate. Hot lunch programs were introduced at each attendance center as soon as facilities were adequate.

    Another area that benefited was the physical education classes. Inter-school competition in softball, basketball and track became a part of the regular school program, as well as games with neighboring schools.

    The number of one-room schools in the district was gradually reduced as decreased enrollment and other conditions necessitated their closing. In the school year of 1952-1953, three one-room schools remained in session. They were Liberty, Bell and Grove. These schools were discontinued in 1953 and the country schools became a memory of former days.